I’ve treated a lot of NYC patients since 1993 when I created the Division of Dermatologic Surgery at The Mount Sinai Medical Center. No two of them have had exactly the same skin type, medical background, or cosmetic needs. I treat each as a unique case with a customized protocol to address their concerns and help them love their skin again. One of the ways I have done that is by having provided a range of injectables, including Botox®, Dysport®, Juvéderm®, Restylane®, Radiesse®, Sculptra®, and Belotero®.
Why do I need so many products in my rejuvenation toolbox? Because each neuromodulator and dermal filler serves a specific purpose.
I am very excited to add the newest soft tissue filler from the trusted Juvéderm® line by Allergan. It’s called Voluma™ XC, and it also has a definite purpose. Voluma™ corrects age-related loss of volume in the cheek area, for smoother, more youthful facial contours. It is the first and only filler approved by the FDA for that function.
Voluma™ is pretty amazing. It adds instant fullness to the mid-face, with continued improvement for up to six months, and the natural looking results last up to 24 months. The procedure and the formulation are quite safe, and there’s little or no downtime following treatment. Does that mean that I recommend Voluma™ for every mature patient who comes in for a cosmetic consultation? Of course not.
Here are some general guidelines I keep in mind when I design an individualized rejuvenation plan:
- Is the patient over the age of 21?
- Has the individual had a history of acute allergic reaction to anything, or does he or she suffer from multiple severe allergies?
- Has the patient had an allergic reaction to lidocaine or gram-positive bacterial proteins, which are components of Voluma™?
- Is the patient comfortable with the idea of injections, bearing in mind that Voluma™ XC is formulated with lidocaine (a local anesthetic) to make the procedure more easily tolerated.
- Does the patient have a general understanding of dermal fillers and a reasonable expectation for the outcome?
- Would another procedure, non-surgical or surgical, be more likely to deliver the level and duration of results the patient desires?
Be assured that if you are considering Voluma™, I will take plenty of time during an initial consultation to talk with you about these points and others, and to answer your questions. Together we will determine if Voluma™ should be part of your youthful, new look. Call me today at 212-593-1818 to schedule that discussion.