By now you might have heard of Ultherapy®. Or maybe you’ve seen the amazing results of on a friend or coworker and wondered what she’d done to look so refreshed. Let’s talk about those results and how they are achieved with this FDA-cleared method of lifting and tightening skin without surgery.
Ultherapy® gives skin, from brow to chest, a natural lift from the inside. It uses the same technology as medical ultrasound, delivered in a safe, controlled manner, more focused than diagnostic ultrasound devices employ, to boost collagen production in deep skin layers. Treatment is especially precise and safe because it incorporates imaging, which allows me to see into tissue layers, applying ultrasound where it will be most beneficial.
Treatment is very effective. It does not duplicate the results of a facelift, but it can postpone the need for surgery indefinitely. Here is the transformation you can expect, usually with just one Ultherapy® session:
- Treatment for face and neck takes about an hour to 90 minutes. The FDA recently cleared Ultherapy® for treatment of skin on décolletage, also. That takes approximately 30 additional minutes.
- Each patient’s comfort level is different during treatment, but typically Ultherapy® is well tolerated. You feel the ultrasound sensation only when energy is being delivered, not for the whole duration of your appointment, and not after Ultherapy® is completed. Immediately after treatment you feel ready to go back to your normal routine. Often, patients comment that for a few weeks those regions are slightly tender to the touch. This is a normal effect of the desired inflammatory reaction taking place in the deep dermis and subcutaneous tissues and the supporting structure referred to as fascia.
- There’s no downtime, and no special post-procedure care is required. Simply return to your usual activities.
- Your complexion may appear flushed for a few hours. Some patients experience minor swelling, bruising, tenderness, or numbness, and rarely weakness in regional areas, but it is temporary.
- Many people see immediate improvement. The real magic happens, though, over the next two to three months as your body steps up collagen production, to lift and tighten skin in treated areas.
- Results are long lasting. However, skin will eventually sag again over time. Touch up treatment is just a call away.
Ultrasound technology has been used in medicine for half a century, and more than 350,000 Ultherapy® procedures have been performed globally. Treatment is safe and results are proven.
Facial treatment for a more youthful look doesn’t have to mean anesthetic, cutting, stitches, and a long recovery period. Call 212-561-5808 and ask for Dr. Ron Shelton. Mention this blog and I’ll be happy to schedule a consultation to answer your questions about Ultherapy®.
Dr. Ron Shelton, formerly having practiced on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, NYC, is now located in Midtown Manhattan.